Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Rules are made to be broken


Ok, if you know me at all, then you know that title is totally out of character for me. But I think it's important to mention it when discussing a raw food diet.


To preface this, let me explain that I am an extremist by nature. I don't do anything half-hearted. And, this is where it gets kooky, I love rules. I love 'em. Live by 'em. Make up my own, even. So before I ate raw, I would have trillions of random rules running through my head about what to eat, what not to eat, when to eat, how to eat, etc. I don't think I realized it, but it was very stressful and exceptionally taxing. (I believe it resulted from not fully understanding food and health--a lack of knowledge/understanding.)


This kind of piggy-backs on my last post about defining your own diet, but I really want to explain that eating raw foods is not about NOT EATING. For example, I can go all day and not eat sugar, wheat, dairy, cooked and/or processed foods and still not get any nutrition. Creating limitations and regulations on the food you eat will not ensure great health. In fact, it will stress you out and burn you out way before your time.


So please, please, please do not define your lifestyle by what it's not, but what it is. For me that means eating colorful, living food. It's the only food I buy and keep at home. But I am not afraid to eat a tortilla chip!! In fact, the foods I eat give me the freedom to enjoy whatever dish is in front of me. I know that I am nourished, healthy and vibrant. A tortilla chip won't ruin that! I know that. The reason I don't eat it, though, is because it isn't appetizing. A diet of raw food is so rich, varied and energizing that regular, SAD food begins to lose its appeal. I don't force this. It is a natural effect of the lifestyle.


Anyone trying to push this effect on you or create rules around what you should/shouldn't eat, doesn't know what they're talking about.


A friend of mine once commented (and not very subtly at that) that she didn't understand how people could deprive themselves all day without cheating sometime. As if cheating implies fun and health implies deprivation. This same friend drinks at least two cans of soda each afternoon at work, has a "health" bar as her only lunch and cooks extravagant dinners (lasagna, enchiladas, etc.). She never refuses a sweet "treat" and has no energy. From my side of the coin, she is the one depriving herself. I wanted to explain that my lifestyle has nothing to do with depriving myself, but that I really have no desire any more to stop at Starbucks or "sneak" a candy bar.


I am so sad to see friends and even family that have never experienced the freedom and vibrancy of eating the way I have. But I trust that they are adults and can make their own decisions. I don't live by rules anymore--rather I eat what I really like, whenever and however I want to. I hope that all of us can say the same.


Recipe a go-go for today:


Raisinettes

These little treats not only taste amazing but actually help hydrate your body thanks to the coconut oil


1.5 cups coconut oil
1.5 cups raw, organic cacao powder
1 cup raw, organic agave
1 teaspoon alcohol-free vanilla
Handfuls and handfuls of raisins

Mix oil, cacao, agave and vanilla in mixer on low until creamy. Stir in raisins by hand. Drop on baking sheet lined with parchment paper and freeze. Give 'em about twenty minutes and enjoy. Voila!


No comments: