Thursday, March 27, 2008

Plus/Minus


To be honest, there are two aspects of raw eating that bum me out (sometimes more than others).

#1 The prep time. This week, I have been coming home and falling asleep before I can prepare the next day's food. I always run late, though, so even getting up early doesn't give me the time I need to get my lunch ready. I know there are lots of places I can eat out, but there's nothing better than raw, fresh, homemade food. It's a passion! So it's been pretty rough this week, trying to get it all done. The weekend is almost here, though, so hopefully I'll be able to do some better planning.

#2 The short life span of the veggies. Bought a bag of spring mix from Whole Foods last night and had to pick through the dead stuff already this morning. Yuck. But the majority was in tact and still tasted great. And regardless, I am grateful for the convenience of places like Whole Foods.

It's funny, though, because I can remember having similar problems with the SAD (Standard American Diet) food I ate before. I can remember racking my brain for a decent lunch or dinner idea that I didn't have to cook or marinate or slice up beforehand. And there were countless slices of cheese and deli meat that went straight from the fridge to the trash due to mold. Cooking used to be such a dreaded chore.

I have to say that with the raw diet, I actually experience joy from and get excited about the food I prepare. I tell you there's something inspirational about taking just flax and sesame seeds and making a bag of chips! Or how about turning nuts into cheese? The flavors are sensational and the nutritional content is purely exceptional. I seriously need to quit my day job and just make food all day--what a life!

So, for breakfast today I grounded flax seeds, mixed it with coconut oil and topped it with berries and agave. Wow. (I have to thank shelshelsraw.blogspot.com for that recipe!)

I had a busy, busy work day and took a mid-morning break for Holy Yoga and surprisingly, wasn't very hungry so I grazed my way through the day with cashews, a Lara bar, leftover bites of breakfast and mixed greens and sprouts. Maybe it's the heat, but I just haven't been as hungry as usual. I still manage to eat just about all day, though. And I continue to maintain a great weight and more energy than I know what to do with. Really, it's almost like God knew what He was doing when He made all this food in the first place!

Thank You, Lord, for this abundance of food. And the abundant life that comes with it. It's not perfect, granted. But it's exciting.

No comments: