Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Let's get Cheesy!

Apparently I have failed to post some of my most delish (and basic) recipes on this handy blog. When I taught my friends how I make raw work for me, I started them off with cheese. It's so basic, so easy and everyone (raw and SAD eaters alike) love it. Plus it's great for those with dairy/lacto concerns.

The only potentially dangerous aspect is a nut allergy. Nuts are hugely important to raw fooders and vegans alike, but if you or someone you know has an allergy please be careful. Thankfully peanuts are usually scarce (raw peanuts can carry dangerous toxins) and as with almost all raw recipes, the ingredients can always be altered to accommodate your need. I rely on google a lot for help with alternatives. Google key words/phrases and ask the Lord to guide you!

I will forewarn you, though, with my recipes. I rarely make the same dish the same way twice. Either I am missing an ingredient or need to use up something before it spoils or just feel creative. And, sadly but true, I often forget to write down the alternatives to some of my best creations. But hopefully it will inspire and empower you to go forth knowing that the result just may be better than you first intended. The most important thing is to know that YOU can do it and you will probably do it better than you thought.

With that said, here's my favorite recipe for raw vegan cheese (I can't recall where I first found it but it's been a mainstay from the beginning):

Raw Vegan Cheese

  • 1 1/2 cup soaked, sprouted 2-4 hours sunflower seeds (I don't always wait for it to sprout--it's only for added nutrition but not necessary for the integrity of the recipe)
  • 1 cup soaked almonds (you can use any other kind of nut: Brazil, cashew, macadamia)
  • 4 tbs parsley
  • 2-4 tbs raw tahini
  • 1 garlic clove
  • 2 tbs lemon juice
  • Squeeze of Bragg's Liquid Aminos or Nama Shoyu or dulse (or even just salt!)

It's going to seem too easy, but just throw all the ingredients in your food processor, blend and taste. Depending on the strength of the ingredients you may need/want to alter the ingredients to meet your preference. If it doesn't blend well at first, add more lemon or Bragg's or water. The more you blend, the smoother it will become. I usually leave it so that the texture slightly resembles feta: creamy but has some firm consistency. It's neither liquidy nor solid enough to make a block out of by any means. There are recipes out there for "real" raw cheese that firms. Again, google it!

Raw Cheese Variations

I have not played enough with this to make it an exact science, but because of the somewhat bland taste of the nuts the cheese can be spiced to almost any specification.


For Mexican flavored cheese, use cilantro instead of the parsley. Add cumin, tomato, red onion and maybe a dash of tumeric. Taste as you go and have fun.


For an Asian flair, try peanut (or sesame) oil, Chinese 5 spice, fresh ginger and then either (or both!) spicy mustard or agave to sweeten. Again, it's not an exact science but hopefully after your first batch of cheese you will see how easy it is to flavor and enhance.


Raw cheese is one of the most important dishes we use as raw foodists. It is extremely high in protein and is versatile enough to add to anything. Use it as a dip for veggies or flax chips, layer it in a nori roll for a wrap and add veggies and sprouts for an awesome roll or burrito, spread it on sandwiches or add it to salads.

The consistency and versatility of nuts are important to remember because it's also what makes the best cheesecakes! I recently created my best cheesecake ever but cannot find the recipe. I know, I know. But I can provide the link to the first raw cheesecake I ever tasted. Kristen's Raw teaches classes in Scottsdale on raw food prep and has several recipe books out. Her cheesecake is addictive! It will not disappoint! Check it out here:

http://kristensraw.blogspot.com/2007/12/organic-double-chocolate-cherry.html

She suggests cherry extract but feel free to use vanilla or any other fruit extract to satisfy your craving.

Enjoy and voila!

No comments: