Monday, November 3, 2008

Colon Cleanse Update/Holiday Shake Recipe

We still have not selected a specific colon cleanse. Sorry, not very exciting I know. But I just want to update you on our commitment to stay green.

Both my husband and I have signs of a poor working colon. For that matter, I wonder if we all do. We are seemingly healthy young whipper-snappers (25 and within healthy weight limits). However, I suffer from sinus congestion once in a while (a clear sign that the colon is clogged) and my husband suffers from poor energy and an interesting elimination "schedule." These symptoms along with the knowledge that serotonin is made in the colon and that the colon is the second brain are very motivating for us to keep our colon healthy. Basically it's critical for any kind of real health.

We also learned that no matter how well you eat, it's the absorption that counts. (I know kind of a "Duh" moment but it helps to be reminded.) Of course the raw food diet is the best long term way to ensure this--as you have probably experienced more trips to the bathroom than you thought humanly possible if you have recently switched to a raw diet.

We are considering a juice fast and/or the 3 week diet plan listed in Nomi Shannon's book (heavy on green drinks).

In the meantime, we are eating our greens, juicing our greens and I am headed out today to get liquid Chlorophyll (this stuff is only one molecule different from our blood--very powerful!). We are also going to try to increase our pro-biotic intake and, of course, drink lots of water, exercise and stay calm. Stress is one of the quickest ways to poor absorption.

Btw, we have also been experimented with powdered maca. Wow. Talk about energy (and yes, ok, libido) increase! I think it has also cleared up my skin. We are taking VERY small doses right now, though, and hope that it will help balance our hormones as it is touted for doing.

Here's a smoothie recipe to get you in the holiday mood:

Pumpkin Pie in a Glass A Go-GO


2 pitted dates
1/2 cup rice milk (add more if needed)
2 frozen bananas
1 tablespoon raw almond butter
Dash of nutmeg, cloves
2 teaspoons of cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon maca (purely optional)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Add ice if needed

Mix all ingredients in blender or vitamix. Beware: this is super filling! And tastes a lot like liquid pumpkin pie--which may or may not suit your fancy. I loved it and drank on it all day Saturday (it's all we had in the house, lol). If you want a little less pie flavor, hold off on the spices--it will be more of a creamy almond/vanilla shake. But now that we are in the Thanksgiving month, take advantage of the healthiest way to eat your pumpkin pie! I hope to work on a new recipe using this base for a raw pumpkin pie. Maybe you'll beat me to it? Either way, I'll keep you posted. Enjoy and voila!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have to agree on you that eating with discipline is useless if your body didn't digest properly. That is why there are tons of supplements designed for proper digestion.